The process of making a silicone doll

 

Breedveld baby moldmaking-Head is DONE! pics

by Jennifer Sussmann Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:44 am

I get alot of questions on moldmaking, so I thought I would snap some pictures while I was working on Lilianne Breedvelds beautiful little baby that she is having me make into silicone kits for her customers. I was taking the pics for Lilianne, but I figured I would share. I will try to explain some.

There are many ways people make molds, depending on what they want to accomplish and how complex the piece is. I first prep the piece, it is imperative the sculpted pieces are sanded smoothly and sealed (cernit reacts with the platinum silicone..so it needs to be sealed off so it will not) and then I build up the base. I make a "blanket style" mold because it is easiest for me to create a seam free piece. Some people do a "brush on" and others create a "block mold". I use platinum silicone. Some people use Tin silicone, it is just the preference of the artist. I prefer the platinum, it is usually more costly than tin but it has a longer longevity as far as breakdown. I make a huge mess when im working...hence me being banned to work in the basement until I have my studio built. lol

I've worked with lilianne in past and am always amazed by her great sculpts. Here are her wonderful feet getting prepped and sprayed and set up on boards. Im in love with those feet!


Zoom in (real dimensions: 720 x 431)

Zoom in (real dimensions: 720 x 431)
Here is her arm that is built up with clay to create the thickness I want for the "glove" mold that creates the exact detail of the baby. Unlike vinyl, silicone has minimal shrinking from the original.


Here is her head and the "mother" mold that goes around the blanket mold and holds the actual shape.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 720 x 431)

And then...lol, my big messy table. Everything is set up and started on the molds. The baby pieces are shiny because they just were sprayed. I will add more pics as I go if there is an interest. I just get alot of questions, so since I was going to share pics of Liliannes baby with her, I thought Id share with you all. I finished inner and outer molds of head and can post pics when I pop her head out.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 720 x 431)

Besides my moldmaking materials, I use a vaccuum pump and vaccuum container to de-air silicone, pressure pots to let the casted molds cure under pressure and large air compressor. I learned from my mom, Linda Kays, who casted the first few Helland babies and I actually still use her internal pigment color she has always used. Ive done alot of molds/casting in past for Adrie Stoete-Schuitman, Maribel Villonova, Breedveld, geerling, Huti Babies, Laura Tuzio Ross, Peggy McIntyre..just to name a few. Ive been blessed to get to know many great artists thru my work. I took a break for about last 2 or so years due to full time Air Force Job and single parent life. I have sculpted/casted and put a some of my pieces out here and there.

Hope you enjoyed the pics...I was suffering from a bout of insomnia...so I thought Id ramble on doll-fan for a bit tonight. LOL :lol: Goodnite..Jen

Ok Here is more from today~!
I am starting with creating my pigment color. Here is silicone as it comes, it is a clear, transclucent.


Zoom in (real dimensions: 431 x 720)
Then I have to mix up pigment to the color I like. I am making alot so that the whole edition is same color. I like the color of Lillianes clay, so I am matching it to that.
Zoom in (real dimensions: 431 x 720)
The pigment changes color when mixed into silicone, which is why it is so hard to mix pigments, you have to keep checking color, until you get it right.
Zoom in (real dimensions: 431 x 720)

 


Here is the head inner mold all made.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 431 x 720)
Zoom in (real dimensions: 431 x 720)

Here is the inner mold turned inside out to see the dolls detail.

 


Zoom in (real dimensions: 431 x 720)

Once you mix the silicone with the activator...you have to work fast because it will gloop up. (:


Zoom in (real dimensions: 720 x 431)

Then to the vaccuum chamber to get air bubbles out.

Now...back to work. :bash:
Zoom in (real dimensions: 720 x 431)
I will post the first casting of the head tonight when I take it out of pot. It takes 6 hours to cure. :headspin:
rofl...I think I should call "Dirty Jobs" show. :lol:

 

Here is first baby head!!! Turned out great! I just put first layer of lips on her. I will finish painting (I am painting up the first one for Lilliane for her) tomarrow and show a pic painted. Head will get sent to her rooter lady on monday. Arms and legs will take a bit longer because I need to do a resin first, so I have an exact "hard" replica..in case the inner molds goo bad. Thanks for following along!

 


Zoom in (real dimensions: 614 x 720)

Sorry, pics are taken at night..bad lighting. Also, here is the head with the original...I couldnt get it to rotate for some reason, sorry.


Zoom in (real dimensions: 431 x 720)